Sunday, January 29, 2012

walk in the sun!

Today is Sunday.  Retail stores, cafes and restaurants seem to generally be closed today.  The local food super-store was open today and since I needed to gather more supplies for my belly, I decided to take a brisk walk to this superstore, Willys, across town.  This store was definitely a step up from the local corner mart I had been going to, with a wider selection and better quality foods.  For instance, I could have bought a foil 1 pound brick of margarine!  Or some tubed american spread?

Willys was also more affordable which always excites me.  I filled my backpack to the brim with foodstuffs and made the trip back to the hotel.  I stopped briefly (so as to not freeze the extremities) to appreciate some of the fine scenery Uppsala had to offer on this sunny Sunday afternoon.  In the picture below is THE cathedral of Uppsala.  I'm sure it serves many purposes.  For me it is a reference point when I'm wandering about the city:  the cathedral is up on the only hill in Uppsala and you can see it from pretty much everywhere.  It also makes me think of the Two Towers, a personal favorite.

In comparing my 90 minute walk to yesterday's 90 minute bike expedition, I would have to say that the walking keeps me warmer than the biking.  The caveat is that walking must be done in a brisk fashion - no moseying.  The weather has been trending towards getting colder and I wonder if the walking to stay warmer will hold?

3 comments:

  1. the tube is scary, looks like it should be sunscreen - not edible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tube stuff IS scary. Thanks for the pictures. It helps me imagine your adventure more realistically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If peanut butter is made of peanuts, and corn meal is made of corn, what is American Dressing Spread? Made of spread Americans. Oh goodness.

    ReplyDelete