Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 11

I think my body is getting accustomed to the cold.  This state hasn't been achieved by staying indoors, obviously.  Each day I try to spend at least one hour outside walking, biking or running.  I would say that walking and biking have been the greatest percentage of my adventures, while running was only completed once, last night.  I haven't gone for a run in over a year, but I have come to realize that this is the most feasible and affordable way to exercise - most bang for the buck - until I get a paycheck.  I prepared by dressing in many layers, and that did the trick.  Even though it was 0 F outside, I managed to stay warm even to my extremities.  

Today, I went on an exploratory walk of Uppsala.  It was a lovely walk with a bone chilling breeze.  Maybe it can be seen from the picture below that there was no sun today:
The picture above shows the riverside path.  The lower elevation, flat portion of land in this photo is actually the frozen river!  At various locations on the river can be seen ice skate marks and shoe prints of people who have dared the ice.  I am curious, but not quite brave enough to cross the river.  Hypothermia does not sound like an adventure I'm ready for just yet.  

In my latest trip to the grocery store I found the "real tube food rack".  Everything was tubed meat, so my appreciation of this strange thing did not result in me buying some.  There was tubed bacon, shrimp, salami, something white, etc...  The packaging was color coordinated and very appealing to the eye.
When I find some vegetarian tube food I promise to give it a whirl.

Tomorrow I begin my second week in Sweden.  I think I will be able to start living in a somewhat normal fashion.  What I mean is that I haven't been able to open a bank account or get a cell phone plan without a "person number", which is like a social security number.  I finally have received my person number (!!!) and I expect that I will be able live like someone who lives in Sweden.  

4 comments:

  1. The tube food looks pretty, as an arrangement, but not particularly inspiring to the appetite. The person number sounds very Orwelian, doubleplusungoodish. Miss ya! -D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking about tube food yesterday with bob bigwood from anna&mikey's wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping this blog going while you're in Sweden, it's fascinating. Do Kate & Cap have plans to visit soon? I'm planning on a visit too, I just don't know when, other than it would have to when it was a hell of lot warmer there than it is now!

    ReplyDelete