Saturday, January 28, 2012

Running Errands

Saturday - a good day to catch up on chores and such that need doing.  In San Diego getting my to-do list finished would be routinely easy.  1) Get tupperware from Ikea to put lunch in, 2) go to the outdoor store and get a Nalgene, 3) go to the drugstore for soap and a brush (forgot to bring one of those and it has been almost 5 days since i brushed my hair).  An easy list.  Now add the complexity of navigating a new city in the snow on a bicycle where every street has a strange name, and the mundane errand transformes in to a strange adventure.  Uppsala is a small city, so getting so lost to the point of no return is almost impossible, but it is easy to take the wrong turn at a roundabout and end up very far from the intended course.  This may have happend a few times or more on my first outing and in general it was nice to explore the city with no time constraints.  I soon realized after about 45 minutes on the bike that there was most definitely a time constraint:  the amount of time it took for my fingers and toes to become completely frozen.  I surpassed that time constraint on the way to my first stop.  This is the reason there are no new pictures in this post.  I was glad to arrive at Ikea and I spent perhaps more time there than necessary.  I did leave with toasty warm phalanges so my errand there served a double purpose. 

The next stops were done with more quickness and I arrived back at my temporary home (hotel) only partially frozen.  After some lunch and a coffee I will go check out the local gym which includes a bouldering gym.  Right now the gym offers a free week of use and I see no better time to try it out! 



2 comments:

  1. Love the pics Starla! Love seeing Jake in the snow. What an adventure. Can not wait to visit you. More pics please. Especially of the real IKEA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I want to know what IKEA in Sweden looks like too!

    ReplyDelete