Tuesday, July 12, 2011

When I saved the tortoise

I have seen lots of animals on this trip. Most of these animals have been squashed by cars and are nearly indistinguishable. Except for the hedgehogs; those are easy to spot, sadly. Today a little miracle happened, I saw a live animal! It was a tortoise about 8 inches in length walkin' across the road. Obviously this little guy was going to get squished by one of those nutter Montenegro drivers so I decided to move the tortoise to the safe side of the street where it could walk for a long time without coming back to the road. It felt pretty cool to possibly save a cute little animal from a sad ending.


- Posted from somewhere with my iPod!

Location:The last 5 km of Montenegro

5 comments:

  1. Seen any bunnies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seen some bunnies, two live ones, lots of pancaked ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. A joy to see unsquashed critters in your travels--hurray!
    Love the Tortoise-Hare thing goin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did the same thing with a tortoise on the road in South Africa earlier this year :) I didn't even think about how many roadkills you must see bike-touring. How sad. Hedgehogs?? :(

    ReplyDelete