Saturday, July 16, 2011

Albania day 2

Today we rode through northern Albania. It was mostly flat with a tail wind. Usually we get hills and headwind, so I guess in that respect we had a lucky sort of riding day. We rode through some very poor cities today and saw things that were difficult to take in. There seems to be very little organization where trash and recycling are concerned. There were of course homeless families and animals. Near a meat processing plant there was a dead pig on the side of the road that was so bloated it looked ready to pop.

There are many things to appreciate about Albania too. The people here all seem to be very friendly. While on our bikes Anna and I get lots of waves and honks from the locals. Even if they drive a bit on the fast side, the local drivers generally give a friendly honk to let you know they are passing and then lots of room. And while off the bikes, the people we meet are quite pleasant. The always inquire about are trip and give us a thumbs up (even if we have no idea what we are taking about). Fresh fruits, veggies, and eggs can be purchased for a steal at any of a thousand roadside stands.




I am on a gravel road. I was not so excited when this picture was taken. My spirits lifted when I realized the gravel section was only 1 or 2 km.

- Posted from somewhere with my iPod!

No comments:

Post a Comment