Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Albanian alp

Well, we were going to save this mountain pass for tomorrow after a good nights rest and a solid meal.



In the distance there is a town where we thought the hotel would be, but the map we have is a big fat liar. The hotels are at the top of the mountain pass after a 1000 m climb with the last kilometers are at a 10% grade. Well we made it, but not without some interesting challenges.

The cows and goats in the road that would not move made for a different sort of road obstacle. Then I got attacked by a wild dog which was a first. It didn't bite me, but it did rip my side pannier pocket wide open. I have never felt the need for inflicting violence on an animal until today. I didn't want puppy to come for a second bite, so Anna and I threw rocks at it. Is it bad that I was glad to have scored a hit?
Then, when Anna and I needed a snack to prevent a grand-bonk some of the local youth came to check us out. The youngest boy about 8 years of age, spoke fair a fair deal of English. He asked to try some of my snack then took a gigantic handful which was pretty cute. He also wanted to get my phone number so he could call me when I got home to America and he whipped out his (possibly functional) cell phone to get my number! What a flirt. When his big brother showed up with a hatchet and wanted to ride out bikes snack time was promptly over.

Along the way up the hill we saw an elderly chap selling honey next to his bee hives! Of course we stopped to get some. A delicious jar for 500 lek. He wanted to talk about America and our bikes. He mentioned that Bill Clinton was a swell guy.



The honey man was very sincere and sweet, possibly one of my favorite Albanians aside from Genti.

The ride today in the hills was beautiful!!!

- Posted from somewhere with my iPod!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a day! Wild dog attack and kid with a hatchet, goodness. Glad you made it through with some positive stuff too.

    ReplyDelete